Personal cyber liability insurance, also known as personal cyber insurance or personal cyber risk insurance, is a specialized insurance policy that provides coverage and financial protection for individuals in the event of cyber-related incidents. It is designed to help mitigate the risks and potential financial losses associated with cyber threats targeted at individuals.
Personal cyber liability insurance typically covers the following areas:
- Identity Theft: This coverage helps individuals recover from identity theft incidents. It may provide reimbursement for expenses such as credit monitoring services, identity restoration services, legal fees, and lost wages due to time spent resolving identity theft issues.
- Cyber Extortion: Personal cyber liability insurance can offer coverage for situations where individuals are targeted by cybercriminals who demand a ransom in exchange for not releasing sensitive information or for restoring access to compromised devices or accounts. It may cover the costs associated with engaging professional negotiators and paying the ransom, up to the policy’s limits.
- Online Defamation: If an individual becomes a victim of online defamation, where false and harmful statements are made about them on the internet, personal cyber liability insurance may cover legal fees and expenses related to pursuing legal action against the responsible parties.
- Financial Fraud: Personal cyber liability insurance can provide coverage for financial losses resulting from unauthorized use of credit cards, fraudulent online transactions, or phishing scams that lead to monetary damages.
- Legal Assistance: This coverage may include legal advice and assistance in the event that an individual becomes involved in a legal dispute related to a cyber incident, such as being sued for alleged online defamation or being wrongly accused of cybercrimes.
The specifics of personal cyber liability insurance coverage may vary depending on the insurance provider and policy. It is important to carefully review the terms and conditions of the policy to understand what risks are covered and any limitations or exclusions that may apply.
Contact Us to learn more.